PDA

View Full Version : Request for another nicety to emails

Dirty Butter
08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm finding that I have to hunt to figure out which blog a member goes with when they reply to my emails. This could be solved easily if the outgoing email recorded their member number automatically as a part of the subject line. New members don't always understand what their number is, either, and this would make explaining that much less confusing.

For instance, this could be done automatically:

#281 RE:

Scott
08-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Adding it to the new list :)

Dirty Butter
09-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I just noticed that the last few days emails I've sent out do not have the ID when the email originates from the Contact page. It does work when it's done from the Contact link on the Member page, however.

Scott
09-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Ok, I'll have Tim look at it as soon as we are done fixing something else that needs fixing :)

Dirty Butter
09-20-2007, 09:13 AM
IT work is never done, eh? Thanks, Dave. No big deal - just wanted to let you know.

Scott
09-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Both Tim and I have tested this and done some contacting from the "contact members" page on a couple of lists and it is still including the member ID in the subject line of the emails that are sent to the members.... Maybe when they responded to you they deleted that from the subject?

Dirty Butter
09-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I tried the emails from the Contact Members page today, and the ID number shows in the body of the email copy to me, but not in the Subject Line, as it does when sent from their Member page info. Having it in the subject is helpful, because it's easier to skim through the list of old copies to see if I've written someone about a topic.

I've been meaning to ask, too. Is this change to allowing members to opt out of group mailings something you had to do, or something you wanted to do? It's very inconvenient for me, as it means sending out a bunch of individual emails when I need to contact everyone on our list, which is quite large. We're an active community, with lots of emails going back and forth between the members and me, so this is very time consuming.

Scott
09-30-2007, 03:10 PM
but not in the Subject Line, as it does when sent from their Member page info.

Whose subject line? The subject line in the email sent to the members?

The opt out thing is something we had to do because so many people were abusing the system, spamming their members about "great opportunities" every other day.

If you are only contacting people about things pertaining to their particular site on your top list (which is what it is supposed to be for) then you don't need to use the mass contact thing. If you are sending people a newsletter about your top list then they should be able to opt out if they want to.

It was either that, or shut down the ability to mail entirely :(

Scott
09-30-2007, 03:37 PM
FYI, I just logged in to your manager admin as you, added a couple of test sites with 2 of my email addresses in them, and used the contact member form to contact those 2 email addresses, as well as two of yours. The member ID appeared in the subject line of both of the emails I received.....

Dirty Butter
10-01-2007, 08:18 AM
I appreciate you testing it, Dave, and will let you know the next time I email someone as to what I see. It's the copy of the email I get if I used the Contact Members page that didn't show the ID in the subject. It did show in the body of the email, though, where it says who the email was to. It's a minor problem, at worst, so if you've checked on it, I'll not concern you with it again.

As for the opt out, I figured as much. I think I'll email each one who has the asterisk and ask them to put me on their safe list, so I can use the mass mail. I don't abuse it, so that should be enough.

Scott
10-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh I see - I didn't know you meant the copy that you receive. We can't have all the id's of everyone you send an email to in the subject line (it could be hundreds of id's in the subject line if you mailed everyone on your list), that's why they are in the message body in that email.

The whole purpose (I thought) of having the member id in the subject line of the emails that your members receive was so that if people respond to your email you'll know which member id they are. Right?

So, the emails that your members receive contain the ID in the subject line, and the copy of the email that you receive contains all of the ID's you sent it to in the message body, so you have a reference of who you sent it to.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here...

Dirty Butter
10-01-2007, 10:10 PM
LOL We're still not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about a single email sent from the Contact Members page, because that person has opted out of the mass email. Sorry I didn't make that clear. As you have said, it was obvious to me that you couldn't put all the ID's in a mass email subject line, so I didn't think to clarify that.

Scott
10-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh, I see. Well it will still place the ID's in the same places as I mentioned in the previous post - Subject line in email to member, and message body in cc to you (which is how it has always worked).

Can you tell me why you would rather have the ID in the subject line of the email that is cc'd to you rather than in the message body if you're only mailing one person?

Dirty Butter
10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I keep all these email copies. I could search for the one I want, but it's so easy to quickly skim down the list with the down arrow to check to see if I've already written someone who's having a problem, or to warn them of something they need to fix. I'm not sure why I had never noticed before that it would not show in the subject when I sent them from the Contact page, but I think it's because of the change to Opt Out forcing me to write some people individually, rather than as a group.

If that's the way it is supposed to be, I can adjust my use of it. I just thought it was one of those things that had changed when you fixed something else, as sometimes happens.

Scott
10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok, glad we are finally talking about the same thing :)

Unfortunately, it has always been that way. It's just because of the fact that using the contact members form allows you to contact 1 member, or all of your members... so we either have to put the ID in the subject line or the message body, but we can't do subject for one, and message body for the other. I hope that makes sense.