PDA

View Full Version : suggestion

nima
10-21-2004, 03:59 AM
Hi,
I created a list yesterday. I set all the options and templates. It would be great if I could set the pages (charset) to my native language. because some list members want to write there descriptions in Arabic language. I tryed using java script to do that but I don't have access to all the pages.

I suggest

1. letting the list owners to select their charset in their setting.
2. making email verification optinal for list owners.
3. sending the full voting code to list members by email (I did it by changing templates for me myself)

<a href="%listurl%in.php?ref=%id%" target="_blank">
image url on the list owners site </a>

4. making it easy to add sites to lists by showing this voting code and using the image url of the list owners. instead of making them to save and upload it to their server ( to make the process fast and easy witch increases list members and traffic ).

5. letting list owners edit more texts and pages ( for example I want to write texts in 2 languages.:lol:

Thank u for go top 100
Nima

Scott
10-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi Nima,

Thank you for the suggestions.

We can certainly work on the first 2 suggestions you made. In regard to sending the full voting code to new members by email, this is why there is an email template - so that top list owners can send whatever they would like to their new members. The template already contains the link that the new member should use.

Regarding suggestion number 4 - we currently do not allow members of top lists to hot link banners from the top list domain because of abuse. Members of top lists must save the voting button/banner to their own server to prevent this abuse. I know that when I sign up to a top list, I don't mind saving their button and serving it from my server. Most sites on the internet do not allow hotlinking.

I hope this info helps, and thanks again for your suggestions!

nima
10-22-2004, 02:30 AM
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your care. Glad to hear you are going to add these options to your code. :)

Regarding your answer to question number 4 - I didn't mean letting list member hotlink the banner on gotop100.com. I know it makes more load on your server.

You are right. List owner can edit email (2nd email only) but there is a link in list members control panel to show list member's voting code. It would be great if list owners could edit this page's text field too.

I mean showing the voting code (complete code for each list member - no need to change or replace yoursite.com/image.gif) and show the list owner's banner url in place. You may want to add it as an option in list owners advanced settings.

I don't know if it is really needed to upload list owner's banner to your server and tell the list member don't use it :!: also it makes a risk of abuse.
Isn't is better to use List owners banner url (uploaded on their servers) instead :?:

Thank you
Nima

Scott
10-24-2004, 01:16 PM
You are right. List owner can edit email (2nd email only) but there is a link in list members control panel to show list member's voting code. It would be great if list owners could edit this page's text field too.

Good point - we will add this feature asap.

I don't know if it is really needed to upload list owner's banner to your server and tell the list member don't use it also it makes a risk of abuse.
Isn't is better to use List owners banner url (uploaded on their servers) instead

Actually, some top list owners either a) don't have their own site, so they would have no server to upload their buttons/banner to, or b) are using free hosting which would mean that they are unable to host their buttons/banners for their top list members. Most free hosts do not allow hot linking so it is necessary for these top list owners to upload their buttons/banners to our servers.

Dave

nima
10-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi dave,

Glad to here you are adding more great features.

hope you success,
Nima

alvinonline
11-11-2004, 02:53 AM
Good point - we will add this feature asap.

nima's suggestion concerning the Top Sites member's button linkage code and hosting of button graphic was just what I was wanting as well.

I would also like option of hosting button myself with the linkage fragment available in member's admin area to reflect this so it would be an easier option for member to C&P the code directly into their site without having to download, upload, and host it themselves.

Thanks for a wonderfull service with many great features I am still finding and figureing out how to use. Call me slow, I reckon. :roll:

Scott
11-11-2004, 06:40 PM
We are considering putting this option back into the system again. Will let you know what we decide.

Dave

Scott
11-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Ok, we have brought back the "cut and paste" link code feature on a trial basis. Buttons and banners can now be served from our servers. We're going to try it out for a while longer and see what happens.

Dave

alvinonline
11-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks Dave, for your attention to client desires.

I hope it works without abuse and can become a regular function.

A happy/satisfied GoTop 100 user. :D
Alvin

smcdk
05-16-2006, 07:21 AM
In my opinion it will just put more stress on the server and noone wants that.
Also, any form of "free hosting" will be abused. It's just a matter of time.

But I'm fine as long as it doesn't stress the server...and Dave :D