+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TopList as HOME PAGE?

Dirty Butter

TopList as HOME PAGE?

I was just thinking that it wouldn't take much extra to turn a toplist into a portal. It would need a way to add a section of Favorite Links, maybe a small News box, weather, etc., customizable by each member, and I can imagine people using their favorite TopList as a place to start their web. What do you think? Is this within the realm of possibility?

Scott
    That is something that would probably require a total rewrite of the system. I'm not sure it would be feasible for Go Top 100, but adding some of the features might be possible.

Dirty Butter
    Just playing around, I've added a news feed and a weather script at the top of our page. I've asked for feedback from our members. I never could find any kind of a script that would let each person save a list of links, though, which would be essential to making it into a home page.

I had hoped that a script that set a cookie would let each member see their own set of links when they went to the toplist, but that doesn't seem to be possible. If it can be done, I'd appreciate anyone pointing me toward the code for it.

Dirty Butter
    See what you think of this layout for the Gateway page, Dave.

Error in link - had to remove.

Scott
    It looks good except that the button you have added to the top won't work. You can't really hard code buttons with this system. That top button will always give the vote to the site with ID 414

So unfortunately, if you want everything to be beneath the voting buttons, you'd have to wait until we have some way of making the template more customizable.

Dirty Butter
    I called myself checking that. Just got carried away. I changed the page, and I saved my version, so I can put something like it back up whenever you can work out a way to customize the Gateway page.

Thanks for the email.

Dirty Butter

I'm pleased with our Gateway Page

Our TopList Gateway Page is beginning to look the way I had envisioned it, even without an individualized link section. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to make such a page more useful to our members, I would love to hear from you.

http://blogvillage.gotop100.com/in.php?ref=281

(Our TopList is NOT ranked by HITS IN, so clicking on this link will not unduly favor the blog with ID 281.)

+ Reply to Thread