+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could you add some comments to the CSS code Please?????

Dirty Butter

Could you add some comments to the CSS code Please?????

I sure would appreciate it if you could add some comments to each section of the template code, so a novice CSS user, such as I am, can tell what each section controls. I spent the better part of the afternoon yesterday changing things one at a time, saving it, applying it, going to the main menu to look at the list, etc. over and over, just to get a general idea of what was what.

treehousetim

Re: Could you add some comments to the CSS code Please?????

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Butter
    I sure would appreciate it if you could add some comments to each section of the template code, so a novice CSS user, such as I am, can tell what each section controls. I spent the better part of the afternoon yesterday changing things one at a time, saving it, applying it, going to the main menu to look at the list, etc. over and over, just to get a general idea of what was what.
    Hi,

While I am not really touching the design of the site, or the CSS, let me offer one suggestion that may help in lieu of comments in the CSS.

If you view the page source, and find the element that you want to change, what you need to do is go backwards up to the top of where it is located in the HTML.

i.e.

if you have a paragraph that is inside a div that is inside a table cell
    <td><div>

</p></div></td>

it's possible that the contents of the paragraph will be affected by the id's and classes of the tags that the paragraph is inside of.

you always have to follow the hierarchy up to the outer-most element.

Another thing to watch for is that html tags themselves can have styles applied to them.

i.e. td, h1, p, a
    and even if you don't see a class or an id in the html for a particular piece of the design, there might be rules for the containers the design piece is in that affect it.

I hope I helped you more than I confused you.

If you have any specific questions about the CSS I'd be happy to provide an answer on a case by case basis.

If I'm ever in the code working on the css, I'll add some comments as I have time and as I work on specific areas of the design. However at this time, Dave does not have me working on the design much.

- Tim

treehousetim
    Another way I have found of easily working with HTML /CSS is by using the Firefox browser. Then make sure you have Firebug installed -
    http://www.getfirebug.com
    hit F-12 on a page to view the structure - click inspect and hover over bits of the page. For more info about firebug, you really should check their website.

- Tim Gallagher
    GoTop100 site programmer

Dirty Butter
    getfirebug sounds like just what I need. Thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread