+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could we have Categories????

Dirty Butter

Could we have Categories????

I'd love to be able to offer a set of Tags or Categories that our members could fit their blogs into, so that our list could be searched by topics, as well as words in the title or description. For instance, it would be nice to be able to search for all the Art blogs, or the Computer related ones.

I love the Search as it is, don't get me wrong. But I think it could be even more useful with a little tweaking. You know me, always asking for something LOL.

Scott
    I have been thinking of categories for some time. It is a good idea but it would require major revamping of the way the lists work so it is still in the "thinking" stages at this point

Dirty Butter
    Well, here's one vote to move it to the front burner! I realize this would involve quite a bit of coding, when you consider how many different types of toplists you are serving. I would think something like a possible 10 categories per list would be more than sufficient to be effective. It could be much like eBay's Store Categories, I would think.

Dirty Butter
    I just had a thought ... Uh Oh! Could you easily add searching by description, the way it is for the Admin??

Scott
    I can't see it being too difficult. I think the whole thing should just be one search field where you can just enter a name, keyword, or URL and not have to choose which one you are searching for. Will ask programmer.

Dirty Butter
    Are you getting anywhere with adding the description to the search function for the TopLists? I could very easily put together the appropriate categories that my members wanted, and then have them add that word to their description. That way, I could make a set of category links in the header all by myself. All I need is to be able to search by description, as well as title. Please, pretty please??

Our list just got too big to handle, without some way of categorizing it, so for now, only those with at least 1 vote in are showing, even though I rank by hits out. This is a policy change for our TopList, so it may take our members a while to realize they have to click their banner on their blog, if they want to show on the list.

Scott
    Not yet, our programmer has been away on vacation and is now catching up on a lot of things. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Dirty Butter
    I tried it today, just out of curiousity, and it WORKED!! Right now, I have our TopList set to only show blogs with at least one HIT IN, which means several hundred are not showing. I tried searching for a blog that I knew was not showing, and up it popped! Then, just on a lark, I put in a descriptive word, and up popped all the blogs with that word in their description!! FANTASTIC!!

I've now added to the SEARCH Directions as the top of the pages, and plan on suggesting that everyone add some keywords to their descriptions, so people can find blogs on a given subject more easily.

THANK YOU!!!

Scott
    Yes, we consolidated all the searches into one so that no matter what people type in the search box, it searches the site title, description, and URL.

I think it is a much better system than what we had previously

water05201
    The best way to handle categories is just to start a new TOPSITES list for each! Then connect them by adding a url directory into in your footer or header that lets you visit the urls of each one. That's what i plan to do, anyways.

+ Reply to Thread