+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ?????

shkapoo

?????

Hi. I thought this was going to be soooo easy! But for some reason I just cannot work out how to do this whole Topsite/list thingy! I thought it would be just a case of applying, and then linking to a button on my site. Then when you click on that button it would take you through to the Toplist. Please help. What have I done wrong. I've even got my banner up on the top of the page. What am I missing. Do I have the wrong idea?? Is it not supposed to be linked to my site? Considering I've managed to come this far with building my own site etc, I now feel quite stupid! Thanks for any help, Pam. ops:

Scott
    Did you create your own top list? What is the url?

You can either link directly to your toplist url from your site, or, what most people do, sign your own site up to your top list as a member of that list. When you sign up as a member of your own list, you receive a specific linking code to use. Your site is listed on your list, and gets more exposure as more people join your list.

Hope that helps!

shkapoo
    Thanks for that Dave.

Yes I've created my own top list. http://clothtocreation.gotop100.com/

What I did in the end was saved the banner image to my puter and uploaded it etc etc to my site just like any other exchange banner I've done before. I had already created an ancillary page which is linked to a button on my home page. This is where I put the banner. When I click on this banner it takes me straight thru to my top list, but not to the gateway page. Is that how it's supposed to work? Will the gateway page be only seen if my banner on some else's site is clicked?
    What I was hoping for was to open onto my top list straight from the button on the home page. That's something I just can't work out in my own little head. lol. Perhaps that's a question for the forum with my host??

While I'm here can I ask what is "Edit Link Text"? What does that mean? Or would you rather I start a new thread?

Scott
    It will only go through the gateway page if you are using a unique link code generated for a member (so that member gets credit everytime the link is clicked). If you are just linking it directly to http://yourtoplist.gotop100.com/ then there's no need for the anti-cheat gateway because no one is getting credit for that link.

What I was hoping for was to open onto my top list straight from the button on the home page.
    I'm not sure what you are asking - are you trying to put a link to your top list on your home page instead of a "links" page? If you are using some kind of sitebuilder software then that would be a question for your host.

Edit link text is for editing the text that people receive to link to your site. For example you could change it to "Vote for me at the Top 100" or "Click Here for the Top 100"

shkapoo
    I thought that might be the case for the gateway, but just wanted to make sure.

Yep, that's what I was asking about the button. Some sites that I visited have a text link or button, that when you click, it takes you straight to the gateway, whereas at the moment my button takes me to the extra page I've created where you have to click my banner to then go thru to the gateway. I was thinking I would have to go to my host, but thought I would ask you anyway.

That clears up the link text question for me. ta. I'm assuming it has a default message, so I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks so much for all that Dave. Have a good one!

+ Reply to Thread