+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IP Address Viewable by Topsite owner

IP Address Viewable by Topsite owner

This is what has been going on.

Someone decides that they want to go through and give all the sites low rating. Either they are rude people who like doing such things or they have a site on the topsite that isn't doing well and they are lowering the other sites and hope theirs goes up.

So the IP address needs to be shown to the topsite owner so when spam or random low ratings happen, they are able to ban that IP from rating again.

This isn't happening on mine but it has happened on others. And the one someone is going through the sites, giving people 10s and commenting on the 'loser' (nicer terms then they called them). And somewhat hinting to two of the sites that didn't get hit by the low rater.

Mean as far as I know this isn't available yet or problem solved on that site. There also (if there isn't already) should be a way for the owner of the topsite to remove the low rating besides resetting.

Re: IP Address Viewable by Topsite owner

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

As the topsite owner in question here, I concur that the owner should be able to see the IP addresses of anyone that leaves a comment on my topsite. How can I possibly put someone's IP on the ban list if I have no way of seeing it? It's not just for the case as stated above. People that randomly give low ratings for no reason is a minor part of this problem. You also have bots that are set specifically to do things like this. And people that come in from other websites and rate down while posting inappropriate links (I've seen them for Adult Webcams, adult dating sites, etc). I would like to be able to ban these people from posting their garbage.

I also think topsite owners should be able to entirely remove comments (as you would remove a single post from a thread on a forum if it were found inappropriate). I shouldn't have to go through the trouble of resetting everything when there's ONE bad apple that's causing a problem.

Also, another suggestion? I think it's a great invasion of privacy for the topsite owner to be able to see everyone's passwords. I didn't even realize this feature was there until I made my own topsite. I could easily use that password to try and get into someone's proboards admin account and ruin them (I'm not saying I would, but there are people that do things like that to be vindictive). It's not a difficult task, and I doubt that many people know, when making a name and password, that the owner can see it. I've actually had my topsite hacked into already and it's not even a month old, and I have a feeling that the reason is I'm on another topsite where the owner can see my password (has now been changed). I've actually contemplated leaving this site entirely because of the privacy issues at hand.

Please address these issues. I know I'm not the only one that is looking for a change, and these are legitimate complaints that need to be dealt with in a timely manner.

Re: IP Address Viewable by Topsite owner

Sorry, I did have one more "on topic" suggestion that I forgot to add here.

People who put their sites on the topsite list should have the option to delete themselves if they so desire. I know that personally I am on several topsites that have been taken over by spam and garbage and was unable to remove my site from the list. I was instead forced to change my email and put in "google" in all the information. If the list manager doesn't tend to the list anymore (which was the case with the list I just mentioned) and therefore cannot remove you themselves, you should be able to remove your own site.

+ Reply to Thread